Saturday, April 18, 2009

off the wagon

I haven't been doing so well with the work outs lately. I was so busy getting ready for New York that I only got to the gym 4 times that week. Then, in New York (4/5-4/12) I got to the gym once. (Just once! So embarrassing!) On the last day there, I had a scratchy throat. I'm still fighting this full blown flu that has settled nicely in my lungs. I swear, I get on a plane, I get sick-- it's just the way it goes. Anyway, exercise induced asthma + gunky lungs = not ideal work out conditions. So, no work-outs this week until I get the cough under control. I did 6 hours of manual labor yesterday, (long story, but it involves me swinging a pick axe, a sledge hammer, and hauling boxes most of the day). I tried to tell myself this must equal a work out, but being totally honest, as hard as I worked, it just doesn't come close to a good swim session. All this means I've had 5 work-outs in 3 weeks. It's pitiful!

Normally, I would say, well, that was just one period of time. I'll get back on track and be fine for the Danskin. But I'm going to Italy for 2 weeks soon, and I am not going to sacrifice suitcase space for running shoes. Lots of walking and some hiking will have to do. I'll be focusing on fuel a bit in carb-loading paradise: Spaghetti! Lasagna! Gnocchi! Yes please! Really though, that's just another instance of me trying to convince myself that it counts when we all know it doesn't. So, there will be another 2 weeks off the wagon. I'll just have to make the remaining weeks really count.

Now off to try to prevent coughing up a lung... oh, Nyquil, how I love thee.

4 comments:

I'm going to be a Ropp! said...

You poor thing! I've been sick too, and very much so off the wagon, luckily, I think it happens to everyone. Walking and hiking in Italy should be amazing, but just think, you could just wear your running shoes on the plane...that wouldn't take space heheh!

Jessica said...

I hope you get well soon!

Jessica said...

I hope you get well soon!

Michelle & Luke said...

Brianna= will you email me pics of your dress? Ash said she saw 'em & I am JEALOUS!!!