Wednesday, June 23, 2010

60 Years

60 years
7 children
15 grandchildren
14 great-grandchildren (I might be forgetting someone)
dozens of cats and dogs
hundreds of baseball games later...

Last weekend, Kenneth and I went to California to celebrate my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary. I'm totally blown away by the idea that my grandparents have been married so long, and it's now our goal-- to be celebrating our 60 happy years of marriage in 2070.

Here's to my grandparents and that wonderful family they created!



Grandpa and Grandma Johnston head out on their honeymoon (at least that's what Aunt Michelle and I decided this was a picture of). 


Grandma and Grandpa now, with my dad and step-mom. 
I don't know that I've ever seen Grandma look so cute!  She got her hair done, a new pantsuit, and pretty pearls all for the party. Looks like Grandpa is happy about it too. ;)   
Dad and Christine celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary June 30, so both couples have big milestones to celebrate. 

Granted, I've probably only become really aware of their relationship in the last 15 years, but it's been remarkable watching how Grandma and Grandpa have grown even closer in that time. The first time I remember Grandma and Grandpa being really affectionate with each other was when Grandpa had his triple (or was it quadruple? I don't remember) bypass surgery. Grandma held his hand right up to the point when he was wheeled into the operating room. Another time when I was visiting, Grandpa showed me how he finally had a diamond put in Grandma's ring--- he was so proud, or Grandpa showing me a pair of earrings he got for Grandma for Valentine's Day. 

They've been through a lot in the last couple years even.  Grandpa's health continues to decline (he has advanced Parkinson's disease, diabetes, other health issues),  Grandma has had a pacemaker inserted and other health issues of her own, they have had a son battle (and continue to battle) cancer, two children have open heart surgeries, the death of a sibling... but also the weddings of grandchildren and the birth of more great-grandchildren.  

One last anecdote on their marriage: Grandpa often says that the key to a long lasting marriage is to forget to wear your hearing aid. But this weekend, he had some genuine advice to Kenneth and I: "If you have a disagreement, don't say anything, just sleep on it. If you still feel like you should say something the next day, go ahead. But wait until then." Because of his Parkinson's, it's getting hard for Grandpa to talk, but he made a point of making sure he told me his best piece of advice for marriages.

Highlights from the party: Hearing the song the guitarist from their favorite local band wrote for them about their marriage and parenting, the toasts from my aunts and uncles, getting my own copy of some of their wedding photos, spending time with family... and karaoke in the hotel bar afterwards. Hehe. Here are some pictures.

Check out Grandma's polka dot wedding dress! So cute! 
(I could have scanned in a picture of this instead of using this picture I took of the poster, but I'm lazy.)

Johnston family tree. The extended family are pictured on the lemons... make of that what you will. 


The cakes were decked out in Dodger colors!

Me, Alexis, and my cousin Jenny's daughter, Cassidy. Me and my Tia, (Aunt Diana. Her son, my cousin Ben, is getting married in a few weeks!)

Dad and Christine, with their daughters and son-in-laws (2 now!)

BTW-- Natalie, in the sky blue dress in the middle, MADE her dress. How cool is she?



And what you were waiting for-- Sara and I doing karaoke. For the record, I had more fans than Sara. Although Sara probably deserves more points than I do for effort and use of props.


Sara tackles the music break with some sweet air guitar action. I awkwardly dance.

1 comment:

Michelle & Luke said...

what a beautiful couple!!!