Friday, May 27, 2011

Lessons learned since becoming pregnant

1. People -- strangers or friends-- have opened up more than I ever thought possible as soon as they found out I'm pregnant. Sometimes it's horrifying, and sometimes it's heart-warming, but it always surprises me how all of a sudden the comfort level people have with me changes.
2. At some point I felt like I must watch a birth video. After all, this is going to happen to me, right? I should know what I'm in for. This was a terrible, terrible idea.
3. I may have lived a life mostly without body issues before. (And for that, I am truly grateful.) That time is now over... I definitely have body issues now.
4. Maternity leave: Are there any more stressful words? Prepping for maternity leave is currently a more stressful idea than birth. Not as frightening, but more stressful.
5. On a related note, United States maternity leave laws are downright shameful. We should be better than this. And that's comparing it to what we in MUN used to call "less developed countries" like Angola and El Salvador. Don't even get me started on what the US is like compared to Europe-- it's enough to make you pack your bags for Scandinavia and renounce your US citizenship. Check out this table on Wikipedia and you'll see what I mean. Anyone else want to join me as I write a letter to my congressman, both senators, and the president?
6. Morning sickness: it's just not for the first trimester.
7. Babies are expensive...starting with the first prenatal visit. Talk about sticker shock.
8. The first ultrasound, the first heart beat you hear, the first movement-- there's nothing like it. Absolutely nothing. It seems like those things are the ways God shows me that the morning sickness, the doctor appointments, the tests, the financial planning, the new apartment searching, the new aches and sore areas, the ways it's pushed me outside my comfort zone... all of that is worth it.

And since I haven't posted these yet, here are Baby X's 12 wk ultrasound pictures-- lips! nose! brain and eyes! spine! and those blips above him-- those are his arms and legs moving around!

1 comment:

Mo said...

I love my new grandson already!