Friday, March 2, 2012

2 teeth! & 4 months

X cut his 1st tooth last Thursday, and by Saturday morning tooth #2 had found its way through his little gums. He was a bit fussier than normal but teething hasn't been too bad overall.

The pediatrician gave us the ok to start solids whenever we feel ready at the 4 month visit this Thursday. On one hand, I'm afraid of my milk supply dropping & I'm intrigued by baby-led weaning-- both of which seem like better reasons to wait until 6 months. (Have you heard of baby led weaning? Basically you don't do baby food-- no purées. Love the idea.) On the other hand, I love cooking (even if my energy for it lately has been non-existent) & one of the things I've been looking forward to sharing with X is all the different foods there are out there. I'm excited to introduce him to my farmer's market favorites---berries, fresh tomatoes, squash... And his dad and I are negotiating on when babies can start having donuts. (Mom says no sugar before 1yr. Dad disagrees.) and if we can start on food now, it's hard to be patient & wait any longer. So, we'll see what we end up doing with food.

Other 4 month news... X weighs 13lbs 10oz, has 40cm head and is 23 inches long. He's on the wee side in everything but weight (and there he's only in the 25th percentile) so we don't expect him to be a football player... But maybe baseball or wrestling?

We're working on sleep still. I've been reading tons of books, but I still don't know that we're any closer to having a plan for getting X to sleep in his crib. It seems like the gentler methods aren't going to work and we may need to cry it out to get him to sleep in his crib for all naps and at night.

X is a pretty happy baby-- when he isn't tired, sick, or in pain. There are certainly bad parts every day (nap time & bed time) but most of the time I just think how lucky we are to have such a healthy, happy, mellow baby.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Love that little guy!