Friday, April 27, 2012

Infant Potty Training

We started today.Because I'll try anything if it doesn't hurt anything and could make my life easier in the end. And because I'm a hippie enough with baby related things to try it. (Cloth diapers? Check. Baby-led weaning? Sort of check. Infant potty training? Sure, why not?)

So far, we're 1 for 1. So far, so good, ha!

(yes, this was a post on potty training. How do you like that? The things that are exciting as a parent. My FB friends are just lucky I restrained myself from posting about X peeing in the potty there.)

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I have never heard of this! How does it work?

Brianna said...

We're using the method from the book "Diaper Free Before 3", but there are a few ways to do it. Basically, you gradually put the baby on the potty more and more frequently. For the first few months the point is just to get them used to the idea of sitting on a potty. Then, you start putting them on every few hours or just regularly (after every meal, at every diaper change) and giving them the opportunity to go. No rewards or punishments, but just give them lots of chances to potty. It's not supposed to be a big deal either way. We try to put him on the potty during each diaper change, and so far, he's gone 4 times.

Brianna said...

Oh, and it takes a lot longer to potty train this way I guess. It can take a year or so before there are no accidents, but even then the baby is out of diapers by the time most kids starts potty training. This is all assuming everything goes the way it's "supposed" to according to the book and some moms I've talked to. We'll see what happens... Can't hurt to try.