Monday, March 16, 2009

2 weeks later...

I finally 'fessed up to my physical therapist. She gave me the ok to do the triathlon, and also gave me strict rules about what I can and can't do to train. It's the end of 4+ mile runs for a while-- I'm not supposed to run past 2 miles more than a couple times a month, not more than 3 miles. Instead, I am supposed to focus on cardio. So here's the last couple weeks:

4 or 5 days a week:
- strengthening exercises (from physical therapist--involves lots of resistance bands and a balance ball)
- 10 mins each on stationary bike, elliptical, treadmill

1 or 2 days a week:
- strengthening exercises
- swimming for an hour doing as many laps as possible (so far it's been 20-25, the triathlon distance will be about 36)

That's 5-6 days a week at the gym. Wow!

Mass:
I lost 10lbs while I had strep throat (P.S.: This is not a recommended weight-loss method), but with all this exercise I haven't gained those 10lbs back yet. Looking forward to getting more muscle so my clothes fit me again.

Fuel:
I've been trying to eat more proteins, good fats, and veggies. So far that's been more fish, avocado, and this awesome butternut squash gnocchi I made last Sunday. Ken keeps lecturing me about drinking more water because I don't like to rehydrate after working out, so I have been, but not happily.

Other news:
Last Thursday, I got together with the gals from work doing the triathlon for a swim work-out and a healthy dinner. It really helps to have a group to do it with-- especially when 4 people have done it before. The next get together will be a 5k followed by brunch.

No comments: