Saturday, December 19, 2009

My Bouquet Part 3: Little Girl Dreams Re-visited

When I was 10 or 11 years old, Mom bought me a book on American fashion icons. It was full of spreads showing the Kennedys walking to JFK's inauguration, Alice Roosevelt's hats, and my favorite-- Grace Kelly's wedding. (You can see details from her engagement and wedding here.) All of my little girl dreams of what my wedding dress would look like came from her elegant gown. Naturally, when I pulled that book of fashion icons out tonight, I flipped through looking for that wedding I used dream about when I was younger.


All that dreamy 200 year old lace. The collar and long sleeves make it modest, but so regal and romantic. And that headpiece-- not quite a tiara or crown, but making it still evokes her new role as a princess.


And here's the whole dress. But wait. What's that in her hands? Let's get a closer look.


A missal!

All I remembered from the pictures I saw long ago were the gorgeous dress, (ok, and the bridesmaid bouquets, the beautiful church...) I hadn't noticed that pretty little prayer book in lieu of a bouquet! This is after I decided Grandma's prayer book would be part of my "bouquet."  Not that I thought I was a trendsetter. But I'm definitely not now. I think that's ok though if I get to have a little piece of a princess wedding that I dreamed of when I was 10, without even trying or planning for it.

No comments: