Thursday, January 7, 2010

In 100 days (or "A Confession")


In 100 days, we're going to be Mr & Mrs... but Mr. & Mrs. what?

Last weekend, over drinks with a couple friends at City Grill in Portland (yay for happy hour!), I took a deep breath, and made a confession. "I'm going to change my last name." I knew I was taking a risk saying this to one of my friends. You have to understand-- she's not just any friend-- she's the friend to whom I gave my copy of the Feminine Mystique. We bond over our feminism, competition, and MUN. Clearly, I had some explaining to do. So just how did this self-proclaimed feminist decide to change her name?


  1.  To be honest, I've never really loved my last name. Or, rather, I'm not totally wild about my name coupled with my last name-- they're well enough on their own. Maybe because of that, I've always felt like my identity was far more closely tied to my first name, so I don't feel like I'm losing any part of myself by changing my last name.



  2. Sooooo....I'm not actually planning on changing my last name as I am tacking on another last name. My name will become Brianna Nicole J H. Why have just 1 middle name when I can have 2? Lots of women make their maiden name their middle name when they take their husband's last name, but I like my middle name. And maybe it's pride or something but I just couldn't bring myself to drop my last name entirely.



  3. It's kind of exciting to change my last name. I'm starting a new chapter in my life, and often new chapters are associated with changes to our name. We get a degree, or start a career in a certain field and suddenly our names get things like "Ph.D." and "Reverand" attached to them. So why not a name change when we start a new life with someone? I'm all in favor of those couples where both partners change their name. But that's not something that's interesting to Kenneth, so I'm not pushing it. Besides... what would he change his name to? Would he become a J-H or a H-J? Would we switch last names and take each other's? Would we come up with some fantastic combination of the letters in our names? My head hurts with all the possibilities.



  4. I'm young. If I were older and had established myself more in business as Brianna J, then I would have other feelings I'm sure. But since I haven't gone too far in my career yet, I don't think I'll confuse too many people by going by another name, but just in case...



  5. When necessary, during the first year or 2, I can hyphenate when I feel like it might be helpful for people get that Brianna J = Brianna J-H = Brianna H. Granted, legally, my name won't be the hyphenated one, but how often at work do people ask you if the name you sign your emails with is, in fact, your legal name? Didn't think it was that often. So, for a while, my name will be J-H, and just when people get used to it, I'll drop Johnston. Keep people on their toes and all that. :)

It wasn't enough to make my friends happy, but that's ok sometimes. I'm happy with my decision that in 100 days, when we see you at the church, we'll become Mr. & Mrs. H.  (Y'know, except for those rare times when we're  Mr. H & Mrs. J-H.)

No comments: