Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Frequently heard comment: You don't even look pregnant

Besides asking about cravings (which took a sudden change for the weird this week, I'll explain in another post), one surprisingly common reaction from my coworkers, upon finding out about my pregnancy, is "But you don't even look pregnant." Seriously-- heard this 4 times yesterday! I've been feeling for weeks like my pregnancy was OBVIOUS just by looking at my belly, but apparently there are some who disagree. This I'm chalking up to one of several things:

  1. My coworkers being super nice and trying to make me feel good about the changes my body is going through, which is dishonest, but kind of them.
  2. My coworkers being utterly honest -- they really don't think I look pregnant. And if my coworkers can't tell that I've gained weight or that that weight is concentrated in one particular area of my torso, who am I to complain?
  3. I just haven't spent enough time showing off my changed profile at work and when people tell me this, they're looking straight at my belly rather than my profile. 
  4. My coworkers see me during the day, not at the end of the day, when my belly and bladder are full from a full day of eating and drinking.

I think it's the last one.

Exhibit A:
April 25/Day 1 of Week 13, just before heading to work

Exhibit B:
April 27/Day 3 of Week 13, just before bedtime.

Trust me, my belly didn't become that much more prominent in the space of 48 hours. It's the same story every single day. Nice little baby bump in the morning... "Whoa, that belly is large and in charge" in the evening. 

Is this normal?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh these make me happy!!!! I have no clue if it's normal, but you're super cute!

Michelle & Luke said...

sooooo normal. when i was on the verge of having to wear maternity pants I went to work feeling fine in my normal jeans & had to unbutton the fly towards the end of the day! and btw- the pics are so hard, there was NO way i could have put my weekly pics in order b/c I swear some weeks it is just the clothes or the angle that make you look big or small- you look GREAT!