Friday, April 29, 2011

Question 9: Have you had any weird cravings?

For the most part, aside from food aversions & things that taste differently than they used to*, my eating has fallen into a several categories:

  • things I eat because they make my stomach feel better (mashed potatoes, crackers, toast-- anything carb-heavy)
  • things I'm supposed to eat it more because I'm pregnant (spinach, berries, nuts, eggs & anything else with protein)
  • things I eat because the alternative sounds awful or I can't have whatever the alternative is
  • things I eat because it sounds delicious-- in other words, things I'm craving
Cravings haven't been too strange-- mostly I just want salt or salty things. And when I say salty, I mean so salty you're licking the salt off your fingers, then using your still moist finger to pick up the salt in the bag. (It's embarrassing to admit that, but oh well, it's the truth.) There have also been random days where I can't stop thinking about pineapple, baked potatoes, toast with butter, quesadillas, or anything with BBQ sauce. But none of those are things that seemed strong enough or strange enough (for me) to be a true stereotypical pregnancy craving.

Then, we went to Costco the other night, and knowing there would be no time for making dinner at home, we ate at Costco. Lacking other options that I felt totally confident were pregnancy safe, I opted for a slice of the combo pizza. Then, when walking to our table, I passed by the condiment stand, and inspiration struck:


That is my pizza with deli style mustard squeezed all over it.**  Kenneth was horrified and took pictures on his phone. I realized how odd it was and took a picture myself and sent it to Sara. But let me say this: The sour and spice the mustard added to the pizza was AMAZING! Delicious! So much so that after I took this picture, I went back and squirted more mustard on.

I'm not sure that I would ever put mustard on pizza again, because it does seem pretty odd. But at least I won't be marveling at my own cravings next time as I do something like pour ketchup on scones or BBQ sauce on birthday cake. 

*Butternut squash... I miss you so much! But you're much too sweet for me now. I just can't handle it. 
**I could have doctored it up a little so that it wasn't quite so horrible looking (I know, who wants to see a half-eaten slice of pizza?), but I think the picture as-is makes the bizarre condiment all the more pronounced.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Salt cravings? Awww....you're taking after your mother!