Sunday, April 24, 2011

Question 2: Why didn't you tell me sooner?!

We kept it a secret for a long time because we wanted to know baby was going to stick around before we announced. I have a genetic condition that doesn't affect me, but basically makes me a carrier for a very serious genetic condition that usually results in miscarriages in the 1st trimester. (This condition isn't something minor like Down's Syndrome or Cystic Fibrosis). We wanted to be sure baby was ok before we announced.

We had genetic testing done last Wednesday. The test (called CVS if you're curious) was pretty brutal, painful, and uncomfortable, and they had to do it twice... I could go into details, but let's just say it was a lot like what I imagine birth to be like, except I know birth will probably be 10x worse. I was put on bed rest for 24 hours, and then had to stay off my feet as much as possible for another 3 days. And when they say stay off your feet, they mean it. (I got a little talking-to by a nurse when she found out that around hour 50 post-CVS I took the dog for a .5 mile walk around our apartment complex and made dinner.)  

 Anyway, we got results 24 hrs after the test was done. As for results:

What we were hoping for/great results: 46 chromosomes
What we would be happy with/good results: 45 chromosomes 
What we were afraid of /very bad, scary results: 47 chromosomes

They called Thursday after the test with the results... these aren't them, but they look like this. 46 perfect chromosomes.  Yay!





2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a relief! I can't imagine what the waiting for the test results was like! Oh goodness! God is good!

Michelle & Luke said...

YAY FOR ALL THE CHROMOSOMES! I didn't know this was a concern for you but i am so happy to hear all is well!!! YAHOO!