Thursday, April 28, 2011

Question 7 & 8: How are you feeling? Have you been taking care of yourself?

How are you feeling?
So far pregnancy hasn't been terrible. I've had nausea, but for the most part haven't had any real morning sickness. I had my first (so far only) bout of put-you-out-of-comission-all-morning morning sickness at 11.5 wks, and the nausea has been stronger since then, but still mostly manageable. I've been tired a lot, but it seems to be more related to not sleeping well than pregnancy. (Maybe it's both?) I try to be thankful because I know it's been a lot easier than the pregnancies of other people I know.

Have you been taking care of yourself? Have you been taking vitamins, etc?
This one has been coming from parents, mostly. Tempting as it is to answer this one sarcastically ("You betcha.  I've been taking my vitamins with some really runny eggs benedict and a bloody mary every other morning..."), I actually have been doing all those things you're supposed to do. Which, I've come to discover, is a lot. Just to get my head wrapped around it, I wrote everything that I've had to change or continue doing (even if I'm too tired) since baby, and it's a pretty hefty list:

  • Take prenatal vitamin, DHA supplement, calcium chew daily.
  • Drink at least 64oz water daily
  • Exercise (really hard to do daily; usually 3-4 times/week: Zumba, yoga, walking. Also hard because my heart rate is higher than usual and I've had a hard time getting/staying in the right zone)
    • Also on exercise-- before, never cared about things like overheating or rehydrating. Now I do. 
  • No alcohol, runny eggs, artificial sweeteners (except those in my calcium chews), deli meat, cured meats (I don't entirely remember what the rule was on this one, so I've been avoiding it altogether for now), moldy or unpasteurized cheese, big fish with high or even moderate mercury/other toxin levels, or caffeine (ok, I never have caffeine anyway). 
  • Limiting my intake of fish in general (not that I consumed tons before, but now I actually have to pay attention.
  • When buying processed foods, (because I don't have the energy for as much from-scratch cooking as I used to) I've been choosing the option that has the shortest ingredient list and fewest number of chemicals and substances I can't pronounce.
  •  Eating way more protein, fruits and veggies, rather than my favorite carbs, and when possible I buy organic if it fits our budget.
  • Eating more in general, because I'm supposed to, but also because it's the best way to keep my nausea under control. But also not eating too much because I know I'm not actually eating for 2. 


No comments: